List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: a comment on draft-stenberg-mif-mpvd-dns-00
From:       神明達哉 <jinmei () wide ! ad ! jp>
Date:       2015-11-16 18:04:35

At Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:52:13 +0900,
Markus Stenberg <markus.stenberg@iki.fi> wrote:

> > I have one quick comment on draft-stenberg-mif-mpvd-dns-00: about the
> > use of TXT RR.  From a quick read it seems to me to violate the
> > general guidance of avoiding abuse of TXT as described in RFC5507.  Is
> > there any specific reason why this must be TXT despite the
> > recommendation of the RFC?  If there is, I think the draft should
> > explain it more explicitly; if not, I'd suggest getting and using a
> > new type of RR for this purpose.
>
> We needed a way to get key=value structure to the clients, where the
> guidance (conflict with other uses being an issue) isn't an issue
> because we start the lookup (at quite problematic) _pvd.<reverse>
> place for a PTR. Similarly as we did not want to create a TLV
> registry, the encoding efficiency problem really isn't there.

Okay.  I suggest explaining it explicitly.

On the other hand,

> Another reason we used existing types was to make implementation simpler due to not \
> having to invent new encoders and decoders; hacking together prototype was very \
> easy with these at least.

while understandable I suspect this is one major reason why people
have "abused" TXT, resulting in RFC5507, and so I suspect you won't be
able to justify the use of TXT with this reason in the publication
process.

> However, as DNS wildcarding does not work with the _pvd.*.ip6.arpa (first part has \
> to be the wildcard still I guess?),

Correct: queries for _pvd.foo.ip6.arpa won't match _pvd.*.ip6.arpa.

--
JINMEI, Tatuya