List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5952 (4483)
From:       Sander Steffann <sander () steffann ! nl>
Date:       2015-09-28 13:38:46

Hi,

> > This sound like a personal opinion, not an errata.
>
> I also agree, but I do wonder now that the issue has been raised, if the \
> requirement for a single case (i.e., lower case) is necessary.  All of the other \
> recommendations in the RFC about the use of zeros, ::'s, etc. are very good.  I \
> would think it's easy do case insensitive comparisons.  Even spreadsheets have the \
> ability to covert the case of fields when doing comparisons.

Personally I like the upper-case notation. It just feels "natural" for hex digits. \
But going from "MUST be lower case" to "MUST be upper case" would be a bad idea. If \
we change anything then we should allow both.

I'm sure I will make the mistake for searching in a case-sensitive way, but that's \
just because of habit :)  And I probably have some scripts that would break if their \
input suddenly becomes upper-case, just because at the time I wrote them I knew their \
input would be lower-case.

So, all things considered, I think we should leave it as it is. Allowing upper case \
would be nice, but if it breaks existing code then it's not worth it.

Cheers,
Sander