List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: IPv6 over radio links
From:       Jared Mauch <jared () puck ! nether ! net>
Date:       2014-03-21 18:38:38

On Mar 21, 2014, at 2:22 PM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) <pthubert@cisco.com> wrote:

> I do not see that a classical PC on an Ethernet would need to do support the \
> efficient-ND extension, though it could if it chose to. The intent was not to \
> impose efficient ND on those devices. This is why we dubbed it WiND for Wireless \
> ND.

speaking and thinking outloud for a moment, some folks have microwave or other \
wireless bridges as well that may cause a LAN to span at least a few ms end-to-end in \
the same broadcast domain, I would imagine the wired hosts would also benefit from \
this.

Not everyone is using a fancy switch or hardware in this type of environment, so \
anything within the layer-2 domain will need to interop reasonably.

- Jared

PS. Good news is many devices, eg: iPhone, get software or hardware upgrades a few \
times a year almost automatically by the consumers, making this much better than a PC \
                still running XP 10+ years later.