List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: New Version	Notification for draft-bonica-6man-frag-deprecate-00.txt
From:       Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-25 23:48:38

On 26/06/2013 11:08, james woodyatt wrote:
> On Jun 25, 2013, at 13:13 , Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
>> ron has made one suggestion.  though brutal, its simplicity and its
>> recognition of reality appeal to me.
>
> Why not go large and deprecate all of RFC 2460?
>
> I'm not entirely joking.  If the practical global MTU for IPv6 is 1280, ...

We went through a protracted phase where the practical global MTU
for IPv4 was around 512, unless you wanted to reconfigure your laptop
stack experimentally each time you checked into a hotel and figured
out how to connect to the phone line. I even recall having to set the
MTU to 256 in one hotel. We may well have to accept a protracted phase
of 1280 for IPv6. Eventually it will resolve itself, as it did for IPv4.
I think that's orthogonal to the question of deprecating L3 fragmentation.

    Brian