List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Strange use of link-local
From:       Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-29 21:46:04

On 29/05/2013 11:57, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Brian,
>
> On 2013-05-28, at 4:38 PM, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm increasingly baffled by the use case. If the host is
> > in a context where it can reach a server *and* has more than
> > one interface (such that a ZoneID is needed at all), it
> > shouldn't be using a link local address anyway - it
> > should have configured a global scope address (possibly
> > under a ULA prefix). Discussion of this use case surely
> > belongs in MIF or HOMENET.
>
> Most hosts (and probably all of the ones we care about) have multiple network \
> interfaces, if only the loopback interface plus some sort of external network \
> interface, forcing the use of the zoneid.  Also, the most common place you would \
> need to use a link-local address for access is the place where global scope \
> addresses are basically never used - the home.
> So I agree that the MIF or HOMENET working groups might have something to say here, \
> but RFC 6874 was published by *this* group and IPv6 link local addresses have \
> broader context than either of the other groups.

Yes, but the limitation of the meaning of the Zone ID to a single
host isn't new; RFC 6874 simply reiterates it. The problem is that
the whole notion of scope is defective as currently defined (hence
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-referral-ps, which we plan
to come back to when time permits). Today, the only clean fix is
to use a global-scope address, which means a ULA for disconnected
networks.

    Brian