List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: I-D Action: draft-imadali-its-vinipv6-viid-00.txt
From:       "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi () boeing ! com>
Date:       2013-03-31 22:39:40

Alexandru Petrescu wrote:

> I meant to say that this VIN mapping to an IPv6 address may be useful
> not only to newly manufactured vehicles, but also to old vehicles.

Honestly, I've never much liked any scheme that attempts to hardcode anything about \
the interface into an IP address that way. And the more I think about it, the less \
sense it makes to use such a scheme especially in a car. Where you really can't have \
one interface address for the car anyway. I'm much more inclined to wonder why a car \
should be any different from, say, your set of laptop PCs, tablets, and smartphones.

A VIN is a fine unique identifier to use in the DNS, though. And potentially other \
similar unique identifiers for different components of each car. E.g., the DNS could \
have vitalreadings.<vin#>.car entries, or electicalsystem.<vin#>.car, or \
enginediagnostics.<vin#>.car, or numerous entries to identify an ever growing number \
interfaces that a car should be expected to sprout, in the coming decades.

How you find the moving car from the DNS entry would be same as for any other mobile \
client. Using the same set of solutions.

> This Router sold by the third-party needs to know what IPv6 addresses
> are or should there be in the vehicle.
>
> With IPv4 it was all simple: just use always the same NAT space
> 192.168.0.0.  Example deployments are from a number of vehicles.

Granted, with the IPv4 address space, anything inside the car would be assigned a RFC \
1918 address, and would have to go through a NAT. And then for global connectivity, \
systems inside the car would be required to initiate any session. You can do \
functionally the same thing with IPv6. Use ULAs for anything inside the car, and then \
use RFC 6296 Network Prefix Translation and mobile IP.

Perhaps you have the car acquire a temporary IPv6 address based on its location? Each \
car is assigned a temporary /64 prefix from the local wireless ISP? And the DNS \
dynamically follows the car that way?

Bert