List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Question on IPV4/IPV6 Multicast interoperability
From:       Simon Perreault <simon.perreault () viagenie ! ca>
Date:       2011-12-21 20:30:07

On 2011-12-19 22:51, Ghanashyam Satpathy wrote:
> Thanks for the reply and understands the theory but unable to make it in my code.

Your code might not need any modification at all...

Normally, IPv4 multicast and IPv6 multicast are incompatible.
a) An IPv4-only listener can receive multicast from an IPv4 source.
b) An IPv6-only listener can receive multicast from an IPv6 source.
c) A dual-stack listener can receive multicast from both IPv4 and IPv6 sources.
d) But an IPvX-only listener cannot receive multicast from an IPvY-only source.

To be able to do d), you need something between the listener and the source, what
these days gets called an "adaptation function". It typically does not require
code changes on the source or listener.

There is currently an effort in the IETF called "multrans" trying to standardize
methods and protocols to do that. Some vendors already have "running code" that
can translate between IPv4 and IPv6 multicast.

Simon