List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: rfc3484-bis issue 2: privacy addresses
From:       Arifumi Matsumoto <arifumi () nttv6 ! net>
Date:       2011-06-29 5:28:18

Hi Suresh,

On 2011/06/29, at 4:32, Suresh Krishnan wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> There is already a programmatic switch for this in RFC5014 \
> (IPV6_PREFER_SRC_TMP/IPV6_PREFER_SRC_PUBLIC). Applications wishing to override \
> system policy may do so by using this API.

Yes. An application can control which kind of address to choose by that API.

Our question is whether we should have a way to configure host-wide policy about when \
to use temporary address or not.

For example, if we extend the policy table to have Privacy column like below,

         Prefix        Precedence Label  Privacy
         ::1/128               60     0      OFF
         fc00::/7              50     1      OFF
         ::/0                  40     2       ON
         ::ffff:0:0/96         30     3      OFF
         2002::/16             20     4      OFF
         2001::/32             10     5      OFF
         ::/96                  1    10      OFF
         fec0::/10              1    11      OFF

a temporary address will be used only when a destination address longest matches ::/0 \
entry in this table.

Please note that this is about address selection and not about whether a host should \
generate temporary address for a received RA prefix.

As Tim mentioned, if we agree to have this kind of new tool, after that, we should \
discuss about policy distribution of this added column.

Best regards,

> Cheers
> Suresh

Arifumi Matsumoto