List:       ipng
Subject:    TTL/hopcount becomes 0, what to send back, original packet with TTL
From:       Jeroen Massar <jeroen () unfix ! org>
Date:       2011-06-22 18:27:43

Hi,

I was wondering about the question in the subject.

One gets a packet, the TTL/Hopcount is one, as I am the router, I
subtract 1, then realize it is 0 and have to send out an ICMP
unreachable as I want to actually forward it on to the next router/host.

Now, the question is, do I need to send back the _original_ header
containing TTL=1 in the payload of the ICMP or the new header with a TTL
of 0?

The question becomes more interesting when one receives a packet with
TTL=0 from some malicious sender, what to do with that one?

Greets,
 Jeroen