List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: Tiny fragments issues
From:       Suresh Krishnan <suresh.krishnan () ericsson ! com>
Date:       2007-05-22 22:04:28

Hi Vishwas,
Vishwas Manral wrote:
> Hi Suresh,
>
> So are you suggesting the non-last fragment size of less than 1280,
> example 1200.

Not exactly, but I think this should be administratively configurable.
(1200 is a nice round number though :-)

> I still have a doubt on this one. Can we state that the first fragment
> should have the complete TCP/ UDP headers? I find this essential for
> the case of stateless filtering, which are easier to do at line rate
> in the hardware.

I see where you are coming from, and as a person working on a NP based
router I can empathize with you. But I do not see this being specified
as the IPv6 fragmentation algorithm should not mention anything about
upper layer headers (layering violation). If we go down this path we
need to specify this for SCTP, DCCP, (insert your favorite future
transport procol here), ....

Cheers
Suresh