List:       ipng
Subject:    [rfc2462bis] what if A flag changes (Re: AD Review of
From:       JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?=
Date:       2004-11-25 9:24:17

>> My understanding is that the change means nothing; if the "autonomous
>> address-configuration (A) flag" is not set, the corresponding prefix
>> simply isn't used for the address autoconfiguration protocol (creating
>> a new address or updating an existing one).  I think this point is
>> pretty clear in Section 5.5.3, and I personally don't see the need for
>> describing the details in the "overview" section.  What do you think?

> We discussed this in the WG, and I think that there is agreement
> regarding this now.  I agree that this level of detail doesn't need
> to be in the overview.

Okay, but since I said at the meeting that I would raise this point to
the list, I'll clarify a couple of things:

- Erik Nordmark pointed out *if we need to describe something on this*
  we cannot simply say "nothing", since the change does actually have
  an effect; for example, the change from on to off will mean the
  corresponding address lifetime decreases.  But his did not intend to
  say we actually need to describe the point explicitly, so I believe
  this does not change the above agreement.

- Greg Daley mentioned DNA might use the information on whether the A
  flag is on or off for some specific purposes (which are not
  currently defined).  But this is just a possibility of future
  extensions, and is not in the scope of rfc2462bis.

So, as a result, I believe we've agreed we don't need to make any
changes on this point.

I'm going to edit the new version of the document based on this view.

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.