List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: RFC 2732 and Zone IDs
From:       Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder () iu-bremen ! de>
Date:       2004-11-02 20:35:54

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 04:57:03AM +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / ?$B?@L@C#:H wrote:

> In case I misunderstood the scenario, please let me check.  Are you
> talking about a scenario where a "client" passes a URI to an SNMP
> manager including an IPv6 link-local address with a zone ID for the
> client, and the manager then parses the URI and sends a corresponding
> SNMP request?  If so, it's an unintended (or even prohibited) usage
> in the current IPv6 scoped address architecture due to the "locality"
> reason Erik pointed out.

Well, I can imagine situations where SNMP URIs are exchanged on a local
system because the discovery management application wants to pass info
to the data collector application about agents discovered in the network.
(I am sure you can find more interesting examples.)

So in general, I think one can make a point that zone IDs in ULRs do
make sense. But, perhaps the approach to take at this point in time is
just to acknowledge URIs do not support zone IDs and leave this for
future work once we know this is a real problem.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder		    International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>	    P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany