List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: IPv6 Advanced Socket API extension for Mobile IP
From:       JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= <jinmei () isl ! rdc ! toshiba ! c
Date:       2003-07-17 17:18:31

> In Section 4.1, the draft describes how to use the IPV6_CHECKSUM
> option on mobility headers.  The draft seems to turn off "kernel"
> checksumming by default on the IPPROTO_MH socket.  I belive
> that the checksumming should be on by default (similar to ICMPv6)
> with the ability to turn it off by the socket.

I don't have a particular opinion on whether the checksum calculation
on a IPPROTO_MH socket should be enabled or disabled by default, but
would like to clarify one thing:

> The reason is that
> most Mobile IPv6 implementation are supported in the "kernel" and
> already do checksumming.

What exactly do you imagine about the implementation that supports
mobile IPv6 in the kernel?  If it generates, does checksumming, and
sends a packet with a mobile header completely within the kernel (the
KAME implementation apparently acts like this), it can do so without
conflicting with any API spec.  So I don't get why this is the reason
for specifying the behavior on a raw socket used by applications
(i.e., not by the kernel.)

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.