List:       ipng
Subject:    RE: M & O Bits was: draft-ietf-ipv6-node-requirements-01.txt
From:       john.loughney () nokia ! com
Date:       2003-01-28 2:08:17

Hi Ralph,

> John - the earlier discussions in the ipv6 WG meeting ran long, so we
> didn't get a chance to discuss
> draft-droms-dhcpv6-issues-00.txt, which
> includes some text on the 'M' and 'O' bits.

I understand about that.

> Anyway, I'll be travelling for the next couple of days.  I'll review the
> text in question and post some text no later than early next week.

The current text (so you don't need to check) is:

  4.5.5 Stateful Address Autoconfiguration

  Stateful Address Autoconfiguration MAY be supported.  For those IPv6 Nodes
  that implement a stateful configuration mechanism such as [DHCPv6], those
  nodes MUST initiate stateful address autoconfiguration upon the receipt of
  a Router Advertisement with the Managed address flag set.  In addition, as
  defined in [RFC2462], in the absence of a router, hosts that implement a
  stateful configuration mechanism such as [DHCPv6] MUST attempt to use stateful
  address autoconfiguration.

  For IPv6 Nodes that do not implement the optional stateful configuration
  mechanisms such as [DHCPv6], the Managed Address flag of a Router Advertisement
  can be ignored.  Furthermore, in the absence of a router, this type of node is
  not required to initiate stateful address autoconfiguration as specified in  [RFC2462].

br,
John