List:       ipng
Subject:    Re: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "A Flexible Method for Managing the
From:       Pekka Savola <pekkas () netcore ! fi>
Date:       2003-01-17 6:58:42

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Bob Hinden & Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> This is a IPv6 working group last call for comments on advancing the
> following document as an Informational RFC:
>
> 	Title		: A Flexible Method for Managing the Assignment of
>                           Bits of an IPv6 Address Block
> 	Author(s)	: M. Blanchet
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-ipaddressassign-06.txt
> 	Pages		: 8
> 	Date		: 2003-1-6

I don't have problems with this, though I'm not sure how useful this is
for most (but for some, certainly).

A point I've raised in the past is, most operators are not really
interested in optimizing the address assignments on a bit level (provided
that the number of customers is not so high it would be required).
Rather, here we do so with nibbles.  Those are easier to calculate in the
head and work better with reverse DNS delegations too.

But I'm not sure whether this kind of "coarser approach for flexible
assignment" calls for some text or not.  A mention at most, I think.
What do others feel?