List:       ipfire-development
Subject:    Re: AW: Upgrade to Apache 2.4
From:       Michael Tremer <michael.tremer () ipfire ! org>
Date:       2017-04-18 12:05:12

Hi,

On Sun, 2017-04-16 at 23:13 +0200, Wolfgang Apolinarski wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> I read the page before posting to the list, but

Good.

> a) I wanted to make sure that you are at all interested in an upgrade to
> apache 2.4

Yes we are of course.

> b) It says "You may also use git send-email or send a Git pull request which
> is the recommended way for patch sets."
> (and I thought that git pull request is what Github (in this case) is for)

We do not use GitHub. Our repositories are mirrored there but everything else is
disabled. It is unfortunately impossible to disable pull requests. But
nevertheless, there is no chance to comment on them and keep a good record and
so on. There are quite a few conversations on this list where I explain more.

A pull request instead of sending the patchset only makes sense for more than 20
 patches that need to be merged all together.

> I broke down the patch into 4 smaller patches, but I wanted to make sure that
> each patch can be applied individually such that IPFire is not only building,
> but apache also does not crash on startup.

Each patch should allow the system to build and run.

> Therefore, the apache-update patch is still not that small, but the
> configuration changes are necessary because of the changed syntax.

Yes, it will be large because of the rootfile alone, but there is no way around
it. It would be good not to make it larger by adding more changes.

> I will now configure and use git send-email for the patches.

-Michael