List:       ipfire-development
Subject:    Re: Is this Grsecurity patch issue going to harm IPFire going forward?
From:       Michael Tremer <michael.tremer () ipfire ! org>
Date:       2015-08-31 22:14:21

On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 12:08 +0200, IT Superhack wrote:
> Michael Tremer:
> > I certainly like the idea to help funding the project. However I do
> > not
> > see any point in raising money to give to the lawyers to defend the
> > trademark or to sue because of the GPL violation. That money could
> > certainly be used better than being given to the lawyers.
> I agree with Michael. Raising money just for giving them to lawyers
> is
> not a very good solution in my point of view.
>
> In the past, I noticed that there were patches send to grsecurity
> coming
> from the IPFire team. Therefore, I guess there might be a way to get
> out
> of this situation.

What does that change?

> Remember Transifex? On their website, they said that open-source
> projects don't need to pay anything, commercial projects need to do
> so.
> I like this idea because it takes the money from those who can afford
> pay it, and not from everybody. Maybe Brad and the PaX team would
> agree
> to this...

This is very easy to do with services and not so easy with software. We
don't have a license for that, either. I personally would not consider
this being a good option because free software should be free for every
one.

> > Just donate to the projects you use and love. Every single bit does
> > help. It will sum up soon.
> I have a general question here: How much users does IPFire has? (Once
> Michael said if everybody running an IPFire system would donate 1€
> per
> month, worries about funding would become obsolete.)

We do not know exactly how many systems are out there. If you count
users that would be an extremely higher number than instances, because
we know that there are many with hundreds and thousands of users.

I said that in my talk at the last IPFire summit, that if we had one
Euro for each running system a month, we would have enough money to run
the project in a different way :)

> > -Michael
> Best regards,
> Timmothy Wilson