List:       ipfire-development
Subject:    Re: Updated some Packages
From:       Michael Tremer <michael.tremer () ipfire ! org>
Date:       2014-08-15 9:38:51

Hello Sascha,

thanks for sending in your updates. I guess you will already have
noticed that you didn't get many replies on this. That is partly because
I am really busy at the moment and partly because some things needed a
bit more attention.

So first things first, I am very happy that you are helping the IPFire
project with your contributions and I want you to keep them coming. Some
packages that we are currently shipping are very outdated and need to be
updated. Better sooner than later.

As a distribution we have the responsibility to provide well tested and
stable updates. We cannot leave anything to chance. Therefore we try to
break those things down into individual steps and not do them all at
once. We use git branches to track those updates and once we know that
they are stable and ready to ship we will merge them with the master
branch, build the distribution and release.

You are currently using bitbucket.org which is not my personal first
choice. It is freakishly slow to browse through the changes and I am not
really used to the UI. Maybe you want to check out GitHub. Basically any
service (hosted by a third party or self-hosted) where you can upload
your git repository is fine.

So, in case you update a package, please create individual branches for
every one of them. Then I will be able to pull them individually and we
can already ship the changes that are fine and work on the more
difficult things.

I am not sure how familiar you are with git, but there are plenty of
tutorials out there that explain how to do that. If you need help,
please feel free to ask any time.

I don't want to get into detail about those changes and reply to the
other emails you sent about them.

Best,
-Michael