List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: pppOE / IPFilter
From:       Jim Sandoz <sandoz () lucent ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 3:44:47

fazel,

a) write your rules for the Sppp0 interface.
b) don't write rules for the physical interface (elxl, iprb, mxfe, etc).
c) ipf 3.4.20 compiles just fine on solaris8 for x86.
    "make solaris" will do it;  but i like to enable
    statetop (see the Makefile) so i can see what's
    going on in real time.

jim

ps
if you need to nat/keep state on a large number of hosts,
take advantage of the ability of solaris to futz with
ipf's internals at boot-time via your /etc/system file, e.g.

* ipf table size settings
* see: http://false.net/ipfilter/2000_05/0100.html
* and: http://false.net/ipfilter/2000_07/0082.html
* and: http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/
* and: http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/lists/small/10000.txt
*
* notes:
* IPSTATE_MAX (=fr_statemax) should be ~70% of IPSTATE_SIZE
* IPSTATE_SIZE (=fr_statesize) has to be a prime number
*
* ipf: reduce ipf's default tcp state timeouts
set ipf:fr_tcpidletimeout = 172800
set ipf:fr_tcphalfclosed = 7200
*
* ipf: increase the state table sizes
set ipf:fr_statemax = 7000
set ipf:fr_statesize = 10009
*
* ipf: increase the NAT table sizes
* (n.b.: define'ing LARGE_NAT in ip_nat.h helps out as well)
set ipf:ipf_nattable_sz = 10009
set ipf:ipf_natrules_sz = 127
set ipf:ipf_rdrrules_sz = 127