List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: confused about LARGE_NAT and hi traffic ipf box.
From:       _ethyl () excite ! com
Date:       2001-08-29 19:59:58

Thanks for the reply Darren.  I appreciate your time.

I'm afraid I'm still not clear on my question though.  Perhaps another list
member has the time to explain it in more

detail.

I'm am doing something a bit unusual as my users are making between 1-16
connection to an individual file so the

common adage of "you'll run out of bandwidth before you run out of the
machine's ability to serve more users" is still

probably true, just not as true as it would be for typical web serving.
This is why I want to make sure I am not

limiting the number of concurrent connections by keeping the default NAT
values.  I guess I was a bit confused as to

whether LARGE_NAT is for hiding "hundreds or thousands" of hosts behind the
NAT box or if it still applies to

"hundreds or thousands" of external users connecting from the outside to a
handful of servers behind the NAT box. I

would assume it applies to both but just wanted to make sure.   I'm not sure
I understand how having a timeout of

10mins would negate any predefined limits on the number of simultaneous NAT
entries.

As I mentioned previously, I have already increased available kernel mem
substantially and increased the IPSTATE_SIZE

and IPSTATE_MAX values to the largest I could find.  I am simply interested
in making sure that I have ipf/ipnat

configured to allow the maximum safe number of concurrent connections and
then I will look at other possible choke

points.  Any additional thoughts on configuration for max concurrent users
would be appreciated.

  Do I