List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Solaris 8 / IPFilter 3.4.17+ Strangeness
From:       fireman () oakapple ! net
Date:       2001-08-28 1:38:04

> - After IPFilter is restarted, the port will seemingly be filtered,
  even though there is a rule to specifically allow access to that
  port.

- Sending a TERM or KILL to the daemon listening on the port will make
  no difference, the software will not exit.

I've seen this perhaps on the Apache server that comes with Solaris.
Weekly I stop and restart ipfilter, then later stop and restart Apache...
and discover that the stop didn't take, there is a process hanging open
that will not die except with a reboot.

Now I know perhaps to stop apache before restarting ipfilter.