List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re[8]: Install on redhat 5.1
From:       Igor Podlesny <subscr () morning ! ru>
Date:       2001-04-26 8:55:19

>>Hello!
>>
>>After  I  began  reading  the  answer  to  my previous letter (by "Rob
>>MacGregor"),  I  started  to  think that I was wrong there and here...
>>...but then, later, I realized I wasn't -- thing I can't understand is
>>a  writing statements by people that are unsure of them by themselves.
>>What  does  it  serves for? If I am unsure I always say about this and
>>try to be clearly understood.
>>
>>Rob, my advice -- stop doing this :)

> Could say the same to you :->
ok :)
I wont point my finger :)

>>Here is my answer to you:
>>? =8-)  (may be I missed something, of course)
>>
>>plz, show me how can you easy separate ip flow with IPFILTER to such
>>groups:
>>  -- DESTINED TO ROUTER
>>  -- TRANSIT
>>  -- SOURCED BY ROUTER

> Ok:

> DESTINED TO ROUTER
> block in quick from any to <ROUTER IP> head 11
> (sends all packets destined to router to group 11)

> TRANSIT
> block in quick from any to any head 12
> (after the above will send all other packets to group 12)

> SOURCED BY ROUTER
> block out quick from any to any head 13
> (in theory anyway, I've never tried it)

>>taking in consideration that router has lots of NICs and theirs IPs
>>can change for e.g.?

> Ah, now that's where it gets complicated for the DESTINED TO ROUTER part.
> You'd probably have to write a script wrapper to handle this on IP change.
yeah, Rob. it is very complicated to use ipfw or ipfilter to fit this
purposes.. I wrote by myself a kind of macro analyzer, which allows me
to use syntax like:

block in all from any to XPN_THIS_R_IPS

and after proceeding it becoms something like that:

block in all from any to 1.1.1.1/32
block in all from any to 1.1.2.1/32
block in all from any to 9.9.9.1/24

(for e.g.)

It allows multiply VARs per line, for e.g. having 'told' him this:

 A B

where A = (1, 2) and B = (3, 4)
you will 'hear':

 1 3
 1 4
 2 3
 2 4

speaking short, it's just a shell script which expands variables in
lines till 'kill'em all' :) ...

Also, I can say XPN_INOUT here

block XPN_INOUT all

and will get the mentioned 2 lines (block in all ,,,)

ugh...

But it's kinda ugly.

I cant wait such statement will work correct:

block XPN_INOUT quick from ! XPN_ALLOWED_IPS to XPN_LOCAL_IPS

cause  it  wont  proceed all lines bellow after first match... (yes, I
know  I  can  remove  quick  and  add  a  corrector  to save the logic
(possibly  with groups).. but I cant do the same trick in `ipfw' cause
it is always `quick' :))

So  that's  why it is ugly and `ipfilter' is not too close to an ideal
:)

I  bet  firewall  like `netfilter' of BSDi's `ipfw' is more useful and
convenient.  The  only  thing  about `netfilter' making me sick is its
Linux2.4orhigher-only nature. BSDi's firewall is no too far from BSD,
may be some day.. ;)

>>You  said  about  2  lines and was so busy to show these lines? Sounds
>>childish.

> Sorry, my IP Filter box is at home and I wasn't there when I sent that
> email.  However the rules are in the IP Filter examples:

> block in all
> block out all
> (or replace all with from any to any)

>>(I  think  I got you, but you didn't get me right... yeah IPFILTER can
>>block  BY DEFAULT... yeah it can be said in KERNEL config and so on...
>>but it will block ALL :) I was saying bout BLOCKING ALL EXCEPT TRANSIT
>>packets...)

> Ahh, had misread.  Still possible though not so simply :-)

> <---SNIP--->
>>you mean you can say
>>
>>block all
>>
>>?
>>
>>so why your firewall rules are started by two statements? (block in,
>>and block out)?

> Ok, ok, I was having a bad day and didn't re-read my email :-)  That's what
> I get for not taking my coffee.

I see...
And I can understand it... but, anyway, be more attentive in
interaction with the world :)

--
 Igor                            mailto:poige@morning.ru