List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: blocking low ports?
From:       Jim Sandoz <sandoz () lucent ! com>
Date:       2001-03-31 3:29:45

matthew,

the next to last field in the log entry shows the TCP flags
which were set on the logged packet.

the "-R" in your case indicates that the RST flag was set
on this particular packet.  RST as you know is sent as part
of the closing stage of a TCP connection.

what does this mean to you?  well, what probably happened
was that the ipf state keeping mechanism had already torn
down the state entry for the connection, and then this RST
packet came along, didn't meet any current state criteria
nor any filter rules, and thus was blocked and logged by
your rule 22.  but it's nothing to worry about, just a "stray",
due to a lost ACK packet from your side or some other
harmless malady.

i see -R's, and -AR's, in my logs as well.

jim