List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: slow ssh with ipnat rules
From:       Erik Hovland <ehovland () huey ! jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2000-12-21 21:50:50

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Clayton Fiske wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:29:58 -0800
> From: Clayton Fiske <clay@bloomcounty.org>
> To: Erik Hovland <ehovland@huey.jpl.nasa.gov>
> Cc: ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au
> Subject: Re: slow ssh with ipnat rules
>
> On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 04:16:03PM -0800, Erik Hovland wrote:
> > We just installed ipfilter 3.4.15 on a Ultra80 running solaris 8 6/00. We
> > have no filter rules currently, only NAT rules, they are:
> > map hme0 192.168.100.0/24 -> 0/32 proxy port ftp ftp/tcp
> > map hme0 192.168.100.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 40000:60000
> > map hme0 192.168.100.0/24 -> 0/32
> >
> > Everything is rosy, except if one connects to the NAT box and the tries to
> > connect to any of the boxes behind the NAT box, like so:
> > dilbert> ssh asok
> > asok> ssh pointy
> > ... get a cup of coffee, read your email, search deja
> > password for ehovland@pointy:
> >
> > Where the network looks like:
> > Internet=======asok=====pointy
> >                NAT box  NAT client
> >
> > The connection eventually sets up but is painfully slow. Only ssh does
> > this, all other services work like a charm (where enabled). If we turn NAT
> > off, everything works fine. Another point is that ssh is Portable OpenSSH
> > 2.3.0p1. There should be no ipv6 involved, only 'ol ipv4. The
> > network connection between them is a fiber and two Sun GE 2.0
> > ethernet cards. The NAT client is running solaris 2.6 fully patched.
>
> You're using private space when you have NAT turned on, right?

Yes, see rule set above.

> If so, the reason it's taking so long is probably that sshd is trying to
> resolve that private address to a name. Almost every time I've had
> ssh hang at login it's been a DNS issue.

Is this likely? With NAT turned on the NAT client would be able to quickly
resolve that the private address does not have a dns name. Also both the
NAT client (which is the box I am trying to connect to) and the NAT server
have this line in their nsswitch.conf:
hosts:  files dns

And they have entries in their hosts file for each other.

Any advise on how to diagnose this further would be very helpful. Thanks
for the suggestions.

Erik Hovland
Member of Technical Staff, Interferometer Section - 383
Work Phone:    (818) 354-1994
Pager:         (800) 759-8888 PIN:1251444 or 1251444@skymail.com
E-mail:        ehovland@huey.jpl.nasa.gov

I speak for myself not JPL.