List:       ipfilter
Subject:    ipfilter ftp/performance updated
From:       "Mike Shaw" <mike.shaw () netzee ! com>
Date:       2000-09-22 18:00:22

a)performance.  I took my firewall out of the loop and plugged two =
seperate machines right into the cable modem.  Both machines performed =
equally bad.  Then last night about 8pm the speed went crazy.  I went =
from 20k to about 430k in a matter of seconds (this was the speed that I =
installed Openbsd from a few nights ago...weird).  I've talked with =
other folks who say they had a similar experience--a spotty performance =
window for a few days then solid performance after that.  I'm not =
familiar enough with how cable modems work to know what might be going =
on.  Anyway, moral of the story:  For those of you using IPfilter with =
cable modems, make an effort to verify un-firewalled performance for =
awhile before you start pulling hair out trying to figure out what's =
wrong.

b)ftp.  Does anyone know of instructions on how to upgrade Ipfilter on =
OpenBSD?  There have been some stories about getting mixed =
kernel/software versions and I want to make sure I don't whack =
something.  I've got 3.3.13/3.3.14 which from what I can read on the =
archives has the ftp port/proxy problem.

Thanks
-Mike