List:       ipfilter
Subject:    RE: ipf and nmap
From:       Sean Mathias <SeanM () prosolve ! com>
Date:       2000-06-30 23:27:50

Also please note that many of the newer OS IP stacks are beginning to
implement Rate Limiting as described in subsection 4.3.2.8 of RFC1812,
which reads in part as...

'A router which sends ICMP Source Quench messages MUST be able to limit
the rate at which the messages can be generated.  A router SHOULD also
be able to limit the rate at which it sends other sorts of ICMP error
messages (Destination Unreachable, Redirect, Time Exceeded, Parameter
Problems).'

This is mentioned in the source code for NMAP as well.  In the RFC, the
term router is used but this technique is applicable to an IP
implementation at the discretion of its author.  This is intended to
mitigate resource (CPU) consumption on busy routers by relatively
unimportant traffic.  It also has the side benefit of causing problems
for UDP scanners...

Thus far I have found the following operating systems to implement this
functionality; RedHat Linux 6.1, FreeBSD 4.0 (kernel option, previous
versions do not) and Solaris 2.6.  Some Bay VPN switches simply drop the
packets on the floor and now Windows system seems to implement this
functionality at all.

Sean Mathias
Prosolve