List:       ipfilter
Subject:    More ipnat & dns confusion
From:       "James Moore" <jim () bokler ! com>
Date:       2000-04-30 4:09:17

I'm still having a comprehension problem... I'd appreciate any enlightenment:

hosts on my private LAN don't get DNS when the following rule is included
(based on "ipfstat -hi"):

 "block in log quick on xl1 from any to 192.168.0.0/16"

What I see at the console of the BSD box while DNS is being choked off is
something like the following:

"ipmon[2612] (blah, blah) xl1@0:13 b 209.119.96.3 -> 192.168.1.5, 1207 PR udp
len 20"

My ipnat rule is as follows:

"map xl1 192.168.1.0/24 -> 208.xxx.xxx.x/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:65000"

I'm confused on two points:

1) why is the port number 1207 rather than one in the range set by my
ipnat.rules (10,000 - 65,000)?

2) the rule that's blocking this packet refers to inbound packets on xl1 (ext
interface); i.e. from the Internet. Why would I be getting a packet with a
192.168.1.5 address from my ISP's DNS?

A response I received previously suggested that I was seeing the packet after
it had been translated back into the private address space... But that being
the case I still don't see why the 1207 port is being used, nor do I see why
the rule above would have blocked it.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something fundamental. I thought the DNS response
would have come back into xl1 with a destination address of the external nic,
not the private IP... where have I missed the boat?

Thanks,
James Moore