List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Still, yes more, rdr problems..
From:       Ben H <bens_lists2 () mailandnews ! com>
Date:       2000-04-26 14:44:15

On Wed, Apr 26, 2000 at 12:22:35PM +0400, Dmitriy Bokiy wrote:

> > > ...[the rest removed]...
> > >
> > > In your case RDR won`t work within one network segment. As both contacting
> > > hosts belong to the same subnet they are trying to connect directly - not
> > > through you IP Filter box (your default gateway, right?).
> >
> > my Ip-filter box is 192.168.0.4 which it is trying to connect to, it worked
> > with ipfw..
>
> Ah, OK I checked and RDR do works for me either with hosts (one of which IP
> Filter box) on different subnets or on the same, either with RDRing to
> localhost or to alias, either RDRing rule is before or after map rules. The
> only case when RDR doesn`t seem to work is when there`s no listener on the port
> it RDRs to ;)

i tried it, using aliasing, and got exactly the same results...

> So...uhmm, you do have apache or whatever bound to
> 192.168.0.4:80, don`t you? :)

yes otherwise it wouldnt hang there it would be connect refused, and the
tcpdump shows that the packets aren't even going threre..

(and it's thttpd.. (:

> > > If you really need to do RDR inside you gotta place one of the hosts to
> > > another subnet.
>
> Well, if anyone interested I was not always right here. I tried that as well
> and twice failed and only once succeeded. It didn`t work with ancient
> Digital UNIX box (it did arp lookup first) and FreeBSD box with arpwatch and
> worked in case of FreeBSD 3.4 without arpwatch.

i tried similar things using ethereal, still no joy, my thinking is that the
ipnat isnt connected to the ip layer.. (can ya spot im out me depth yet?)

--
Ben,                                       <bro_evil(at)innocent(dot)com>
"Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons is better than doing