List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Solaris 7 compile errs using gcc
From:       Tom Walsh <mfilter () mytoys ! com>
Date:       1999-02-25 16:52:20

Okay,

	Help get my courage up here! :) I have been coding for the past 20
years, mostly in C + Assembler on microcontrollers. I did CP/M, etc
etc... This is my first foray into the unix realm, I like unix, but am
intimidated by the sheer size of this thing, it is more powerful than
the DOS stuff I have been working with for the last 10 years!

	I think my major concern is that of libraries. I can hack the code so
that I come up with some binaries, but I am concerned by the mis-match
of the header file definitions. As I see it, the source code,
ipfilter, will link to the resident sun libraries and the worst that
can happen is the code could be broken as someone may have exploited a
gnu #def variation to call a sun library function? As in the case of
the va_start function, under the gnu #def it is possible to retrieve
the address of element N in the list as the start, while under sun it
is only possible to return the address of element 0.

	In my microcontroller software designs and in the DOS arena, a broken
call to a function could result in a disasterous crash of the software
system (O/S) during which the processor can thrash around and trash
the system. How possible is it to trash the solaris, or any other
unix, in such a situation? I realize that tape backup is a good thing,
but maybe CD backups would be more appropriate if I continue to build
code on the unix box?

	Any comments would be appreciated as I am looking forward to writing
code under unix!

Tom

On 2/25/99, 7:45:52 AM, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> wrote
regarding Re: Solaris 7 compile errs using gcc: