List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: ipfilter AIX - blocking on pass out, keep state rule
From:       km <km () grogg ! org>
Date:       2008-03-03 22:54:59

On 28/02, Darren Reed wrote:
> km wrote:

> >shows:

> >udp len > > >20 73 OUT

> >frags

> >be

> >[snip]

> >> Yep, something is definitely wrong. The server crashed hard today as
> >> well. Core dumped on floor :)
> >>
> >> I've gone over to pure stateless filtering now and will stress test it
> >for a
> >> couple of days. I actually dont have a need for keeping state for this
> >> particular setup but it would be really nice to have a stable working
> >> ipfilter on AIX in the future.
> >>
> >> -km
> >
> >I'm still getting kernel panics even without keeping state. Too bad, looks
> >like I will have to go with a dedicated firewall instead :(
> >

> Sorry that I can't help - I don't have any access to IBM hardware
> that runs AIX.
>
> Darren

I guess you would need physical access to a pSeries for that. I imagine
firewall testing would be pretty hard otherwise. Serial access to a machine
in a co-lo maybe? That shouldnt be impossible if you see ipfilter on AIX
a worthwile cause.

What makes it impossible for me to get you a real pSeries is that im located
in Sweden, I guess the freight on one would be a killer. Otherwise I
occasionally get the opportunity to take old P hardware that my customers
no longer need, without disks ofcourse.

I wonder what it would take to make IBM donate a machine though.

-km