List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Postfix timeouts  (dynamic IPF upgrade?)
From:       "Stuart Remphrey" <stuart.remphrey () rmit ! edu ! au>
Date:       2008-01-25 8:41:38

Hi Gabriele,

In theory you could unload the ipf module, although it must be
un-referenced first (you could disable IP Filter, which would
presumably release the kernel module - I've not tried).

However when the new filter loads it would create a fresh
(empty) state table, potentially blocking existing connections.

Perhaps reloading could be done in conjunction with manually
saving and restoring the state table (see ipf man page), but
what about sessions that either start or terminate in the meantime?

You could try duplicating all the "flags S/... keep state" tcp rules
with others that don't care about seeing the initial SYN, and try
to rebuild the state table on the fly, then re-restrict it some (random)
time later, but that probably would not catch all possibilities.

Hence there's a strong probability of losing some existing sessions,
without really knowing what's working and what's not...

If the system is only/mostly doing email transfer you should
be able to restart it without losing anything, after all that's
what mail queues are for.

Rgds, Stuart.