List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Ipnat from a localhost
From:       "admin () cos ! ru" <admin () cos ! ru>
Date:       2007-09-07 12:22:20

Hello, Mark.

If you're limited in hardware but intend on using Solaris + IPF as a NAT
firewall server,
and if extreme perfomance is not an issue, try virtual machines.

I have used a VMWare virtual Solaris machine as a firewall in one
project (where several
servers were colocated on one box). It works fine, with VLANs and stuff
as well.

Considering that the customer's internet uplink is an ADSL connection,
any overhead of
virtual machinery, albeit considerable, is invisible - as far as a
performance impact goes.

Mark.Barnes@FT.com ?????: