List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: IPF FAQ Update!
From:       Phil Dibowitz <phil () ipom ! com>
Date:       2007-07-05 16:05:45

a b wrote:
> > Honestly a lot of this needs to go into the HowTo. Erik (the author of the
> > HowTo) accepts patches to the HowTo (he's taken a few of mine), though as
> > far as I know, doesn't actively keep it current.
> >
> > I try to keep the FAQ what it claims to be: frequently asked questions,
> > common problems, concerns, misunderstandings, and the like.
> >
> > That said - if you have specific questions (and preferably answers too - I
> > have never actually used bimap myself), I'll be happy to include them.
>
> I've been under the impression - and please correct me if I'm wrong - that there \
> has been lots and lots of functionality aded to IPF 4 and 5 that's not documented \
> anywhere. Like the variable / macro assignments that someone asked about recently.

First, please wrap your emails to < 80 chars.
Second, this is ... half-true. There are a lot of new features in IPF4. Some
of them are documented in the man pages, but not all of them. Additionally,
I've slowly been adding bits about them to the FAQ as they come up (like the
macro expansion). For example, there's an entry in the FAQ about how to
compile your rules into a Solaris kernel module and load it (a purely IPF4
feature), as well as a question about ippools.

Of course. the FAQ doesn't aim to be complete documentation - just an answer
to common questions and problems.

> The question is, how current are the manual pages and do they keep track of all the \
> new functionality added?

They have some, but not all, of the new features. It sounds like with IPF5
the man pages are being largely re-written though.

> How much up-to-date is docs.sun.com with respect to Sun supported IPF? And \
> docs.hp.com?

I know Sun has docs up, I haven't looked at them extensively though.

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming