List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: strange network pause with ipfilter 4.1.19?
From:       Darren Reed <darrenr () reed ! wattle ! id ! au>
Date:       2007-04-29 15:25:43

a b wrote:
>> <rant>
>> With the rate of change (and quantity of change) going into the
>> Solaris TCP/IP stack (and knowing the current bugcount), I can
>> only say that the Solaris 10 TCP/IP stack feels like "beta code"
>> that doesn't get really well tested :-(  Update 4 is going to change
>> TCP/IP code in a very significant way (IP Instances), so unless
>> you really have to, it might be worth avoiding Updates 4 and 5
>> and go straight from 3 to 6 (there will be an Update 5 but it will
>> be not far behind U4).. or perhaps even 2 to 6, if 3 is causing
>> you problems where 2 wasnt'.
>>
>> I would recommend people download 125014-02 while you
>> can and keep it somewhere safe because 125014-03 (and others)
>> will not be able to be applied to anything prior to Update 4.
>> If you still have problems and have support contracts, ring up
>> Sun and hassle them and tell them you want a patch for that
>> release of Solaris10 (with Solaris's IPFilter) and dont want
>> to upgrade to update 4.
>> </rant>
>
> That's a shame, because I'm spoiled by Solaris's stability and
> incremental enhancements (better, faster, more and more functionality).
>
> Where I work u4 is eagerly expected, as we hope to finally be able to
> engage IPF to firewall traffic between zones... lots of hope and
> expecations is placed on u4 and CrossBow. And we're very likely one of
> the biggest if not the biggest Sun Microsystems customer.

That you will (firewalling between zones)...I'm just not convinced
what's going to make it into U4 will have had enough testing before
being opened to the public (for networking changes, at any rate.)
Crossbow won't be in U4, but at some point later in time...I hope
that doesn't move from opensolaris to solaris as quickly as some
other features have done.  Or to put it differently, Solaris seems
to becoming more like Linux because that's our competition :-(

Darren