List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Device Busy
From:       Peter Clark <clarkp () mtmary ! edu>
Date:       2006-06-22 21:39:16

Darren Reed wrote:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
>> Hello,
>>
>>    I am installing a FreeBSD 6.1 i386 machine and using IPF. When I
>> apply some variables to sysctl for IPF I end up with a device busy response.
>>
>> the variables in question are:
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpclosed=1
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpclosewait`
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcphalfclosed00
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpidletimeoutr00
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcplastack
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcptimeout0
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_udptimeout0
>>
>> The problem occurs both on startup with these in sysctl.conf and if I
>> try do enter it manually:
>>
>> imap# sysctl net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpclosed=1
>> net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpclosed: 120
>> sysctl: net.inet.ipf.fr_tcpclosed: Device busy
>
> For these you have to disable ipf first:
> ipf -D
>
> Darren

Thank you, I guess I still have a question about kernel loaded modules
for this. In previous versions of FreeBSD 5.4 and such, I would see
"IP Filter: v3.4.35 initialized.  Default = pass all, Logging = enabled"
during startup and then the sysctl settings would show being applied.
The same settings as I am now having trouble with. Has something changed
in way IPF 4.x handles being loaded by FreeBSD 6.1's kernel or is this a
FreeBSD issue entirely? How would I go about supplying these options in
this case? I am just using the base supplied version of IPF and the
suggested kernel/rc.conf options with these sysctls.

The kernel (GENERIC) compiled options of:

options         IPFILTER                #ipfilter support
options         IPFILTER_LOG            #ipfilter logging
options         IPFILTER_LOOKUP         #ipfilter pools

and rc.conf  settings of:

ipfilter_enable="YES"
ipmon_enable="YES"
ipmon_flags="-Dsvn"