List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Cost of a negation rule
From:       "a b" <tripivceta () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2006-01-29 10:47:43

Hopefully a simple question:

I have a ruleset with six or more rules that could effectively be solved
with two, three negation rules at most in ipf.conf.

However, coming from a FW-1 / NG backround, CheckPoint teaches us that
negation rules are very CPU expensive / intensive.

How about ipf? Is it more expensive to use a single negation rule in
ipf.conf, or is it faster to rewrite / expand the negation rule to multiple
rules?

My fear is that if I expand / rewrite the negation rule, I may miss
something and thereby create a security hole, whereby a negation rule would
cover everything.