List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: IPFilter and IPv6
From:       Darren Reed <darrenr () reed ! wattle ! id ! au>
Date:       2005-04-20 15:21:51

> In short, Solaris is trying to consolidate configuration of both IPv4
> and IPv6 whenever possible as separate IPv4 and IPv6 configuration has
> caused numerous customer complaints and in this case could result in a
> security vulnerability.  (forgetting the -6 or editing ipf.conf but not
> ipf6.conf will lead to unintended results)
>
> I understand that the consolidation of IPv4 and IPv6 configuration files
> and kernel tables is not a trivial task and introduces a major shift in
> the administration model of IP Filter.  However, do  you intend to
> create a unified IP configuration file in the future?

From all those that have responded, it's clear that there's a desire for
things to change from ipf.conf/ipf6.conf to be just ipf.conf.

At one point I thought I would make an IPFilter 4.3 (after using 4.2 to
work out bugs) but the number of changes I need to make - which now
includes finding a way to migrate from ipf.conf/ipf6.conf -> ipf.conf -
dictate that the next version should be 5.

So yes, this'll be in ipfilter 5.

Darren