List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: 4.1.3, Sol9, hangs on reload
From:       Hans Werner Strube <strube () physik3 ! gwdg ! de>
Date:       2004-07-21 7:23:24

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> Owwww...  I have occasional need to shut down ipfilter to see
> if a rule is getting underfoot and blocking a legit connection.
> Then once my test is done, fire up ipfilter again.

You can temporarily remove the unwanted rule and reinsert it later
without stopping ipfilter, e.g.,
echo '@N RULE'|ipf -r -f -
echo '@N RULE'|ipf -f -
where N is the rule number as displayed with ipfstat -ion and RULE is
the rule text.

>     With 3.4.31,
> doing this doesn't disrupt network connections.  Suggestions on
> how to do this kind of testing with version 4.x?

This should not depend on the version if the rules are the same, cf. the
previous mail by Dan D. Niles.