List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: crash, crash, crash
From:       "Paul B. Henson" <henson () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-05-28 16:01:29

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Darren Reed wrote:

> I think you're wrong on relating it to state.  It's more than likely
> due to the games that get played with the data structures that hold
> network traffic data and being an illegitimate part of the packet
> processing.

I'm just guessing on the underlying cause. If you could provide a more
accurate diagnosis (and possibly even fix it) that would be great :)...

not including this.

SunOS bebe 5.8 Generic_108528-19 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

ipf: IP Filter: v3.4.29 (496)
Kernel: IP Filter: v3.4.29
Running: yes
Log Flags: 0 = none set
Default: pass all, Logging: available
Active list: 0

dropped packets:        in 0    out 0
non-data packets:       in 0    out 0
no-data packets:        in 0    out 0
non-ip packets:         in 0    out 0
   bad packets:         in 0    out 0
copied messages:        in 0    out 36671277
 IPv6 packets:          in 0 out 0
 input packets:         blocked 247378 passed 86899339 nomatch 0 counted 0
short 0
output packets:         blocked 6323 passed 90147569 nomatch 0 counted 0
short 0
 input packets logged:  blocked 139759 passed 0
output packets logged:  blocked 6323 passed 0
 packets logged:        input 0 output 0
 log failures:          input 0 output 0
fragment state(in):     kept 0  lost 0
fragment state(out):    kept 0  lost 0
packet state(in):       kept 1434293    lost 0
packet state(out):      kept 25180040   lost 0
ICMP replies:   0       TCP RSTs sent:  36453
Invalid source(in):     0
Result cache hits(in):  675590  (out):  782267
IN Pullups succeeded:   0       failed: 0
OUT Pullups succeeded:  551284  failed: 0
Fastroute successes:    0       failures:       0
TCP cksum fails(in):    0       (out):  0
Packet log flags set: (0)
        none

IP states added:
        3584746 TCP
        23012339 UDP
        17462 ICMP
        272546021 hits
        28612860 misses
        0 maximum
        0 no memory
        333 bkts in use
        343 active
        23029717 expired
        3584487 closed

> I should get you to try IPFilter 4.0 on these heavily loaded machiens
> as it works properly as part of the STREAMS stack that Solaris
> currently uses.

What is the state of 4.0? Last I looked, I thought it was still early
alpha. If I recall correctly, I couldn't get it to compile under Solaris.
If it is ready for some late stage beta testing, I could probably install
it on some of my systems.

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson@csupomona.edu