List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: Routing Issue?
From:       Phil Dibowitz <phil () ipom ! com>
Date:       2003-05-27 7:34:38

Daxbert wrote:
> Quoting Phil Dibowitz <phil@ipom.com>:
>

>>I'm a bit curious about one thing. At the moment the IPF box needs
>>static arp entries to contact the class B its in.
>>
>>However, when I had my linux workstation plugged into the router (where
>>the IPF box is now) configured the same way, I did not need those static
>>arp entries... any idea why that might be?
>>

> Not a clue.  You may wish to install a sniffer and see how the ARP traffic is
> different between IPF / Linux.

I had the netmask set to a class C by accident... but that actually
works quite well since there is a whole class C subnet for DSL and I
never need to talk to other DSL folks' box... =)

Thanks fo for your help.. dunno why I didn't see the ARP thing myself...

--
Phil Dibowitz                             phil@ipom.com
Freeware and Technical Pages              Insanity Palace of Metallica

  - Benjamin Franklin, 1759