List:       ipfilter
Subject:    samba, ipfilter and ports.
From:       dweise <dweise () rider ! edu>
Date:       2003-03-27 17:36:10

hi,
   a while a go we all pondered what ports samba used. here is the list
straight from samba.org:

Using a firewall
   ----------------

   Many people use a firewall to deny access to services that
   they don't want exposed outside their network. This can be a
   very good idea, although I would recommend using it in
   conjunction with the above methods so that you are protected
   even if your firewall is not active for some reason.

   If you are setting up a firewall then you need to know what
   TCP and UDP ports to allow and block. Samba uses the
   following:

     UDP/137    - used by nmbd
     UDP/138    - used by nmbd
     TCP/139    - used by smbd