List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Returning ICMPv6 Port Unreachable
From:       Bill Chiarchiaro <wjc () cleartech ! com>
Date:       2003-02-23 1:18:52

Hello,

I'm running ipfilter version 3.4.29 on FreeBSD 4.7 and version 3.4.26
on NetBSD 1.6 (the 1.6 release notes say it's supposed to be 3.4.27,
but it doesn't appear so to me).

I'm trying to make ipfilter respond to blocked IPv6 UDP packets with
ICMPv6 Destination Unreachable Messages with a port unreachable code.
I've been trying various variations of rules, but have yet to generate
such a response.  As you might guess, my goal is to block (most) IPv6
UDP packets but still have my hosts show up nicely for traceroute6.

Can this be done with the versions of ipfilter that I'm using?

Thanks,

--Bill