List:       ipfilter
Subject:    questions regarding ipmon and fragmentation
From:       Rich Sudlow <rich () nd ! edu>
Date:       2003-02-20 17:42:15

I just started using ipfilter and have some basic questions regarding ipmon
and it's output which I couldn't find in the man page.  I'm looking selected
pieces of AFS traffic (udp based) between client (samson) & server (pinky)
and am seeing fragmentation and want to make sure I fully understand what
these log lines are saying...

In the following logged lines #1 what is the 833x mean?? dropped packets?
and then regarding the fragment...is saying that this the
last fragment (-) with a length of 1276 and a data offset of 4440.

1) 08:23:18.125216 833x eri0 @0:55 p samson.cc.nd.edu[129.74.36.185] ->
pinky.helios.nd.edu[129.74.250.124] PR udp len 20 (1276) frag -1256@4440 OUT

And in the following -1:-1 means that it's using a state table rule??
and that this a fragment (probably the second fragment) of length 1480
and a data offset of 1480 with more to follow (+-)..right??

2) 11:45:42.258053 3x eri0 @-1:-1 p samson.cc.nd.edu[129.74.36.185] ->
pinky.helios.nd.edu[129.74.250.124] PR udp len 20 (1500) frag +-1480@1480 K-S
K-F OUT - (I believe this was due to rule @54 below)

Rules are as follows:

@54 pass out log quick on eri0 proto udp from 129.74.36.185/32 port > 1023 to
129.74.250.124/32 port 6999 >< 7008 keep state keep frags
@55 pass out log quick on eri0 proto udp from 129.74.36.185/32 to
129.74.250.124/32 with frag

In general when I transfer large files I'm seeing fragmentation but not sure
why..especially when it's being generated from my machine...
and am modifying rules to pass this...Also I would like to log the fragment
id which should be in the header but it looks like this isn't possible..right??

Thanks

Rich

Rich Sudlow
University of Notre Dame