List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: ipfilter 3.2.3 help
From:       papowell () astart ! com
Date:       1998-01-18 2:29:11

> From owner-ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au Mon Jan 12 11:56:34 1998
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 15:43:32 -0400
> From: Sylvain Cyr <scyr@nbnet.nb.ca>
> To: ipfilter@postbox.anu.edu.au
> Subject: ipfilter 3.2.3 help
>
> installation say: first compile with gcc, then type make solaris and
> after pkgadd -d .   (I have solaris 2.6 x86 intel,with gcc for 2.6, also
> in the path. help please here is the detail of the script. Is it
> possible that it is only for SPARC not x86?
>
> PLEASE,COULD SOMEONE COMPILE IT AND GIVE ME A FTP OR HTTP SITE TO
> DOWNLOAD IT PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.
> scipt:

I have poked at this for a while, and found one of the most WHACKO
make problems that I have encountered in a long time.

   The top level Makefile is invoked with  'make solaris'
Make will then do:
(cd SunOS5/whateverhorriblesystem; make build TOP=../.. 'MFLAGS=-I$(TOP)' ....)
(cd SunOS5/whateverhorriblesystem; make -f Makefile.whatever build ....)

In the Makefile.whatever we find:
      cd $(TOP)/iplang; $MAKE $(TOP)/iplang

And we soon see:
      gcc -I(TOP) ...

As reported, this dies with a horrible error,  due to the fact that
there is no (TOP) directory...  I guess.

Now a bit of detective work soon leads you to the conclusion that what
is happneing is that the line started with:
      gcc $(CFLAGS)
CFLAGS was '-I$(TOP) ...' in the previous makefile invocation,
but for some reason (which I know,  but don't even want to start to
try to explain), it does not get passed correctly into the environment
of either make or the gcc compiler.

You can FORCE the right value by sticking it onto the end of the line:
      cd $(TOP)/iplang; $MAKE $(TOP)/iplang CFLAGS=-I..

Enjoy.  Don't ask why.  It is UGLY.

Patrick Powell                 Astart Technologies,
papowell@astart.com            9475 Chesapeake Drive, Suite D,
Network and System             San Diego, CA 92123
  Consulting                   619-874-6543 FAX 619-279-8424
LPRng - Print Spooler (http://www.astart.com)

*** ip_fil3.2.3/SunOS5/Makefile.ipsend	Sat Jan 17 18:06:16 1998
--- ip_fil3.2.3/SunOS5/Makefile.ipsend.orig	Sat Jan 17 18:06:10 1998
  	$(CC) $(DEBUG) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@

  y.tab.o: $(TOP)/iplang/iplang_y.y
! 	(cd $(TOP)/iplang; $(MAKE) ../SunOS5/$(CPU)/$@ 'DESTDIR=../SunOS5/$(CPU)' 'CFLAGS=-I..')

  lex.yy.o: $(TOP)/iplang/iplang_l.l