List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: IP Filter 101
From:       Paul Slootman <paul () wau ! mis ! ah ! nl>
Date:       1997-09-23 15:52:15

On Wed 24 Sep 1997, Darren Reed wrote:
> In some mail I received from Paul Slootman, sie wrote
> > On Wed 24 Sep 1997, Darren Reed wrote:
> > > In some mail I received from Paul Slootman, sie wrote
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Hmmm, I can see what it wouldn't make sense - you definately wouldn't
> > > want to use them in the grouping given there!
> > >
> > > It is a combination of rules which "do things", as an example of how
> > > you would do them (if you wanted to) rather than a set of rules you
> > > would use in real life together.
> >
> > Actually, what I meant was this:
> >
> > # ipf -f -
> > pass in proto tcp 10.1.0.0/16 port = 23 10.2.0.0/16 flags A/A
> > unexpected keyword (10.1.0.0/16) - from
> >
> > It doesn't get accepted, the syntax appears to be wrong. Right?
> > Or am I confused? (... and I thought I had left that behind me :-)
>
> You're missing the "from" and "to".
>
>  pass in proto tcp from 10.1.0.0/16 port = 23 to 10.2.0.0/16 flags A/A

Yes, my point EXACTLY!  "My" rule, which is missing the "from" and "to",
was cut and pasted precisely as above from the example.10 I mentioned.
So, to get back to my original question,

I.e. the example that is distributed with the source is simply wrong,
by your own admission above. It's confusing for IP-Filter newbies as
myself if the examples are wrong, it puts them on the wrong track.

So, may I humbly suggest that in the next tarball the example.10 is
either changed to be correct, or simply removed?

Paul Slootman