List:       ipfilter
Subject:    NAT on Solaris 2.5.1?
From:       Mike Frisch <mfrisch () saturn ! tlug ! org>
Date:       1997-01-22 5:17:35

I have just recently discovered IP Filter and have looked over some of the
mailing list archives without definitive answers to my questions, so I'll
present them here.

My intentions are using Solaris 2.5.1 (SPARC) with IP Filter to create an
Internet gateway for my home LAN, but I have some questions.  (I am
currently using IP masquerading on Linux, so if you are familiar with this
feature of Linux, I'd love to here parallel examples)

1.  Will IP Filter do what I want?  (single static IP with multiple
non-registered IPs "behind" the firewall)

2.  Will the machine running IP filter have to be dual-homed (ie. two
Ethernet interfaces)?

3.  What limitations would exist for machines "since" the IP filter LAN?
Do I need special client software or can I work seamlessly as I do now
with IP masquerading?

4.  How stable is the Solaris 2.5.1 version of IP Filter?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!  I have nothing against
Linux, but I have a Sun machine sitting here doing virtually nothing and
if I can put it to work on my existing hardware, it'd be great!

Thanks.

Mike.