List:       ipfilter
Subject:    FreeBSD 4.6, Ipfilter with Roger Wilco base station software for
From:       Wynn Kageyama <wynn () ventanatech ! com>
Date:       2002-10-24 6:49:25

I spent several days getting the rule set to work for ipfilter to work
with Roger Wilco's FreeBSD base station that I would like to have the
notes posted here when others encounter the same mess.  -Wynn

You can review this site for all the help it will provide to you:
http://rogerwilco.gamespy.com/support/rw/firewalls.html

FreeBSD, and DNS.  The unit has three ethernet adapters with one adapter
connected to a cable modem to the Internet, one adapter connected to the
internal network hub, and the last adapter connected to a hub for
hosting web servers.  One of the desktop systems on the internal network
is running Windows 98, with Roger Wilco mark 1d3.

Comment:  I now have Roger Wilco base station running on my FreeBSD 4.6
Server with ipfilter and ipnat. It works well enough that I can host a
channel.

Process:

On the windows 98 system: "Adjust" using "Configure", "Wave Recording",
"Full Duplex", "Fast Modem", UDP=3782, "Run at High CPU priority", give
yourself a name, and go.
You will later join your channel by typing in the ip address of the
FreeBSD ipfilter machine.

On the FreeBSD/ipfilter/ipnat system modify the following files.
/etc/ipf.rules, /etc/ipnat.rules.  Before editing these files make a
copy of them.

These are the lines that I added to my /etc/ipnat.rules file:
None.  I made no changes.  The changes I did have I later commented out
because they were not needed.

These are the changes I made to the ipf.rules file starting at line 1:

pass in quick proto udp to 67.1.150.213 from any port = 3782 to
192.168.1.5 port = 3782 keep state
pass in quick proto tcp to 67.1.150.213 from any port = 3782 to
192.168.1.5 port = 3782 keep state
pass in quick proto udp to 67.1.150.213 from any port = 3783 to
192.168.1.5 port = 3783 keep state
pass in quick proto tcp to 67.1.150.213 from any port = 3783 to
192.168.1.5 port = 3783 keep state
<the rest of your rules are here>

Save the edits, verify that you typed them in correctly using your ip
address.
Substitute 67.1.150.213 with your FreeBSD ipfilter ip address.
Substitute 192.168.1.5 with you PC running Roger Wilco as client.

Reboot your freebsd machine.
I installed rwbs in the location of /usr/local/rwbs which is a more
common location.  Start your rwbs server application.

 From you PC you can start rw and try to join any non password
protected channel.  If you can here and talk then you have a pretty good
shot at hosting on your FreeBSD machine.  No need to proceed if you
can't talk and listen on a channel that you don't own.

Once you have audio bi-directional functioning, join your own channel at
the ip address of your FreeBSD ipfilter machine.

I hope this works for you.

Wynn  otherwise known as Pooh.
--

SysAdmins from VentanaTech.com