List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Example missing UDP
From:       rje <rje () shoreis ! com>
Date:       2002-09-24 5:49:16

The hard drive in my SPARC box bit the dust and I lost my rules so I
figured I start over.  Minimal Solaris 8 install and ipf.  I was using
some of the examples as a template but ran into a problem.

In the examples packaged w/ 3.4.28 the example BASIC_2.FW talks about
UDP with "Support all UDP `connections' initiated from inside" but I
don't see any lines talking about UDP.  None of my DNS requests are
getting out.  It seems like something is missing from that example.

I added a line: pass in log quick proto udp all keep state group 200.
That makes it all work.

How do I know that line doesn't also allow in UDP from the outside
interface?

--Rob