List:       ipfilter
Subject:    building very fast, but primitive filtering engine
From:       Michael Zayats <zmichael () riverhead ! com>
Date:       2002-06-30 16:21:04

Hello guys,

I know it's off-topic, feel free to ignore it.

In case you can help me decide:
I want to build some very fast and pretty primitive ip filtering engine.
Basicly it just needs to check various header fields (dynamicly driven from
user space of course).
I am in doubts on whether to strip down IPFilter/IPChains/IPTables/whatever or
employ BPF/pcap_compile.
Can you tell me what code will run faster? Bytecode-like BPF or manually
written checks like in IPFilter?

thank you in advance,

--
Michael Zayats