List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Re: problems with ipfilter and Granch adapter
From:       Jim Sandoz <sandoz () lucent ! com>
Date:       2002-02-24 21:31:22

read the FAQ.   http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/ipf/index.html

a) you need flags S on keep state tcp rules.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/ipf/IPFprob.html#1

b) "return-rst [...] proto tcp" should only be used with flags S
    http://home.earthlink.net/~jaymzh666/ipf/IPFprob.html#9

c) finally, you have no ingress protection in place (i.e. your firewall
doesn't work):
    if i use port 20 as my source port i can go anywhere i want on your
network.

if you want to support passive mode ftp for the clients behind the
firewall, you should use the ftp proxy built into ipnat instead of
opening up such a large hole.

read the ipf howto, located at http://www.obfuscation.org/ipf/

jim